JOHN S. FARNAM
John Farnam is presently a fully commissioned deputy sheriff (Training Officer) for the Park County, Colorado Sheriff’s Office.
A police officer and decorated veteran of the Vietnam War, John is one of the top defensive firearms instructors in the nation. He has personally trained thousands of federal, state and local law enforcement agency personnel, many private security agencies, foreign governments, and hundred of civilians in safe gun handling and the tactical use of the defensive firearms.
He has authored dozens of magazine articles, five books, written several handgun manuals, produced numerous training videos (including the DTI “Operator Series”), and has written a model Use of Force Policy. His books, The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning, Second Edition, The Farnam Method of Defensive Rifle and Shotgun Shooting, Second Edition and Guns and Warriors, Volume One have become the standard texts on the subjects.
John is a Senior Board Member of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. In June of 1996, he was selected by his peers to receive the renowned “Tactical Advocate of the Year” award from the National Tactical Association. In April of 2009, he was inducted into Black Belt Magazine’s “Living Legends.” In November of 2011, he was elevated to the rank of Kyoshi Sensei within the American Marital Arts Association.
- NRA Certified Police Firearms Instructor
- Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors
- Distinguished Expert, National Forensic Center
- Individual Voluntary Practical Pistol Instructor
- Certified Instructor, Certified User, Special Purpose Low-Lethality Anti-Terrorist Munitions (SPLLATM-ASI)
- Manodnock PR-24 Instructor
- Glock Pistol Armorer
- Colorado State Board Private Occupational Credential for Security Services
- Police Marksman Association
- Distinguished Experts, National Forensic Center
- International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors
- American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers
- National Rifle Association